The memory of Jesus weeping over the fate of Jerusalem has been kept alive for generations, but only since the Crusader times has a church stood here to recall the event.
Erected in 1955, the tender quality of the Church of Dominus Flevit – the Lord Wept – is augmented by its pleasant garden.
This is the last chapel designed by the great Italian architect, Antonio Berluzzi, who died in Rome in 1960 after giving so much to the Holy Land.
Not far from the church is the spot where Jesus delivered what has become known as the Olivet Discourse.
This prophetic questions regarding the end of days, stretches over two chapters of Matthew’s Gospel. It begins, “And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? And what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?”, Matthew 24:3ff.
*And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, saying, if thou hadst known, even thou, at least in the this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes. Luke 19:41-42
This page is part of the book The Holy Land of JesusShare this page with your friends
Follow News from Jerusalem